Watershed Quest Challenge
Do you have a favorite river, pond, wetland, or swimming hole?
We challenge YOU to write a Quest about an Upper Valley watershed in 2017!
Vital Communities is launching a special Valley Quest program this year known as the Watershed Quest Challenge. Through this fun, educational contest, we challenge individuals and teams (including school classes) to write a Quest about any river, stream, pond, or wetland in the Upper Valley.
Here’s how it works:
- Work with a pal, a group, or on your own to write a Quest about any river, stream, pond, or wetland in the Upper Valley.
- Submit your finished Quest to Valley Quest by December 15, 2017.
- We’ll judge the entries over the spring and announce the winner on May 1, 2018. The top winner will get a special prize, and the top 5 Quests will be featured on the 2018 Super Quest!
Tips for Writing Your Quest:
Writing a Quest can be a big undertaking, but the Valley Quest program is here to help!
Join us for a FREE Quest Writing Workshop!
|On Friday, August 11, we are hosting a FREE public Quest Writing Workshop with Steve Glazer! The workshop will take place at Eldridge Park in downtown Lebanon, NH from 9 am-4 pm. Click Here to learn more!|
We have plenty of additional resources to help you write your Quest:
- First, check out our easy instructions for making your own Quest. We’ll also be posting a series of short videos walking you through the process of making a Valley Quest. Stay tuned!
- Hungry for more? Read through our four Questing curricula for sample lessons and activities to enhance your Quest. (Note: the Adaptable Curriculum provides a great template for writing a Quest about any subject!)
- Can’t get enough information? Look for Questing: A Guide to Creating Community Treasure Hunts. This book by Steve Glazer and Delia Clark is the ultimate resource for creating amazing Quests. You can find it in some local bookstores as well as Amazon.
Ready to submit your Quest?
When you’re ready to submit your watershed Quest as part of the Challenge, first download and complete this New Quest Submission Checklist.
Then send us your Quest clues AND the Checklist by the December 15 deadline!
E-mail is the easiest way to submit, but you can also mail your Quest and Checklist to us at:
ATTN: Valley Quest
195 N Main Street
White River Junction, VT 05001
We’ll confirm we’ve received your submission and will announce the winners on May 1, 2018!
Vital Communities Program News
Valley Quest Coordinator
— Sara Cottingham, Valley Quest Coordinator
Sara holds a BA in Geography and an MS in Community & Regional Planning, both from the University of Texas at Austin. A watershed planner by trade, Sara’s inner compass is guided by a passion for rural and mountainous places. After brief stints working for state and federal agencies, Sara spent the last four years cleaning up rivers in West Virginia. Her favorite pastimes include looking at maps, making art, exploring woods and rivers, and playing old-time fiddle and banjo for contra dances. Sara also maintains a private practice as an independent grant writer for nonprofits.