Before You Quest
- Go to the Valley Quest Library to find Quests for particular areas and seasons. Quests vary in whether they are in villages, in woods, on mountains, or on the water, so choose one that’s right for you.
- Print out the clues and the map for the Quest you have chosen.
- Dress for the weather and your Quest location, including comfortable shoes with good tread.
- your Quest clues and map
- a water bottle and snacks
- a compass if you have one
- A first aid kit and bug spray if your Quest is woodsy
- Optional but fun
- a field guide to local plants and animals
- a hand lens for magnification
- your Quest “passport book” and personal stamp!
While You Quest
- Respect the place. Take home all your trash and food waste, stay on trails, and when encountering plants and animals, please observe and don’t disturb!
- Respect yourself and others. Follow the same safety guidelines that apply when you’re not Questing.
- Follow the clues until you reach the treasure box!
- Inside the treasure box, find
- more information about the site
- a rubber stamp, stamp pad, a sign-in field journal, and a pencil
- Sign your name in the book, adding a few notes or a sketch from your walk, and collect an impression of the stamp as a memento of your journey.
- Carefully re-hide the box exactly where you found it.
After You Quest
- Are you working on a Super Quest? Add it to your Completion Record!
- Tell a friend – maybe they’ll join you on your next Quest!
- Consider volunteering as a Box Monitor! Each quest treasure box is checked on a regular basis during the questing season by a volunteer box monitor. These generous, fun-loving people help keep the Valley Quest program alive and running smoothly. If you are interested in becoming a box monitor for a quest in your town, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!