This August, Vital Communities joins the American Independent Business Alliance, New Hampshire Food Alliance, and partners throughout North America for a month-long celebration of local food, farmers, and producers as part of a larger year-round Shop Indie Local campaign!
Remember: A strong local food system keeps communities vibrant, economies growing, and landscapes healthy. When individuals eat local food, the benefits ripple out through the community, helping small businesses thrive.
How can you increase the percentage of your food from local growers?
- Shop at a farmstand or farmers’ market
- Pick Your Own Season is HERE!
- Support restaurants that use local ingredients
- Sign up for a reduced-price FarmShare from NOFA-VT; applications are due August 31
- Join a CSA for Fall/Winter crops
Attend these events:
- Vermont Open Farm Week, Aug. 7-14: Meet the farmers, plants, and animals that bring your favorite high-quality Vermont products to your plate. Events on farms throughout the state, including in Randolph, Woodstock, Bethel, Thetford, Springfield, Tunbridge, and Brookfield.
- NOFA-NH Colby Hill Inn Farm to Table Dinner & Fundraiser on Saturday, August 27
Take part in these initiatives:
- Crowdfund Farmshare thorough The Local Crowd Upper Valley: Boost access to healthy food in VT and NH
- NH Live Free + Eat Local Challenge: A challenge for eaters across the Granite State to eat at or from five different New Hampshire farms or food businesses during 2022 NH Eat
- Farmstands & General Stores Upper Valley Adventure: A trail of great sources for local food and color
- Valley Quest on a farm! Cedar Circle Farm in Thetford, Four Springs Farm in Royalton, Billings Farm Technology, Billings Brothers, and Sugarbush Farm in Woodstock are among the quests set on farms!
- Pledge to Support Organic Family Dairy Farms: Pledge to buy at least ¼ of your weekly dairy purchase from Northeast Organic Family Farm Partner Brands! NOFFP will use the pledge lists to encourage grocers to stock the products from its members!