Home Heating Efficiency Calculator
How Efficient is YOUR Home?
How to Use the Calculator
- Enter your square footage
(TIP: call your town office and request a copy of your property tax card)
- Enter your annual heating fuel use
(TIP: Look at your old bills or call your fuel dealer)
The form will AUTOMATICALLY calculate:
- Total Annual BTU Usage (BTU = British Thermal Units)
- BTUs per Square Foot
Interpreting your “BTUs per Square Foot” Score
- LESS than 30,000 BTUs/sqft – Your home is already very energy efficient.
- MORE than 30,000 BTUs/sqft – You probably have numerous cost effective opportunities to improve your home’s efficiency and comfort, such as sealing air leaks, adding insulation, upgrading the efficiency of your heating system, installing a programmable thermostat, closing storm windows, and more.
Visit VitalCommunities.org/Energy/Weatherize/Resources to learn about:
- Common energy efficiency upgrades, including costs and benefits
- Rebates and low-cost financing programs to help with efficiency upgrades
- Local professionals who can provide home energy assessments and efficiency services