Working together to empower home buyers and sellers throughout the Upper Valley to understand home energy costs and invest in energy efficiency.
Over 50 real estate professionals from across the Upper Valley will gather on January 9 to kick off the new Upper Valley Green Real Estate Network, a project of Vital Communities. Participants include Realtors, lenders, home inspectors, appraisers, real estate lawyers, and home energy professionals.
Five Reasons Buyers Care about Energy
- The Upper Valley is home to some of the oldest housing stock in the nation
- Energy is often the second highest cost of home ownership (behind mortgage/taxes/insurance)
- $7-12k of air sealing and insulation can reduce energy costs by 15-30% andimprove home comfort
- Rebates and special financing programs exist to help residents pay for energy improvements
- Cost effective energy efficiency improvements are possible in almost any home
Why Time of Sale?
Energy efficiency upgrades deliver cash savings and home comfort from month one. Waiting to weatherize means leaving cash on the table. Buyers can use the transaction process to gather necessary information for efficiency improvements. For example:
- Past heating fuel use data needed to qualify for rebate programs
- Confidence that cost effective energy improvements are possible
- Ability to secure financing for energy improvements alongside a mortgage
Vital Communities and our partners believe we can do more to promote “Green Real Estate” in the Upper Valley by working together than we can by working in isolation. Stay tuned for more from this inspiring group of local real estate leaders!