Interested in biking but haven’t been on your bike in years and not sure where to start? Vital Communities offers Everyday Bicycling Workshops in partnership with Local Motion!
- Check our calendar for Everyday Bicycling Workshops coming to your community in the warmer months. Workshops are free but registration is required.
- Organize a group of eight to ten coworkers or friends and contact us to schedule a workshop. Workplaces, read more about what we offer to help your employees curb their cars.
Everyday Bicycling Basics: Fix A Flat & More This easy welcoming workshop for beginners gives you the skills to manage common problems encountered on a bike ride. While learning how to change a tire, you’ll become familiar with brakes, chain/gears, and how to remove a wheel. Participants leave with free tire levers, chain lube, and patch kit!
Bring a bike to practice on, if you have one. Hands-on practice will be done in pairs, so there are always enough bikes to go around! Please note: many entry-level bikes aren’t designed for much adjustment and can be frustrating to work on. If you have questions about whether to bring your bike to this workshop, call 802.291.9100 x111 or e-mail us.
Everyday Bicycling Basics: Getting Into Bicycling
Haven’t been on a bike since you were 13? Come to this workshop to refresh your skills and learn:
– how to fit a bike and helmet
– what gear you need (and don’t need)
– how to “read” the street and ride safely
– how to do a “power start” and “controlled stop” and how to better handle your bike
Snacks provided! ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING A WORKING BIKE AND A HELMET.
Everyday Bicycling Basics: On-Street Bike Skills Designed to follow the “Skills Refresher” workshop. Build your skills & confidence for riding your bike on the road. We will review some skills in the parking lot and then head out for a narrated bike ride with periodic pull-offs to discuss conditions encountered and how best to respond. Snacks provided! ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING A WORKING BIKE AND A HELMET.
Winter Warrior Bike Workshop Get the tips & tricks from an experienced year-round bike commuter! We’ll cover how to plan a winter commute, how to dress, snow and ice safety, and how to keep your bike clean. This workshop is held indoors; no need to bring your bike.