Napa cabbage, also known as Chinese cabbage, is a popular vegetable found in CSA shares and at farmers’ markets all around the Upper Valley. Here is an easy and surprisingly delicious way to enjoy this plentiful local food.
Grilled Napa Cabbage
Adapted from Martha Stewart.com
- 3 tablespoons hot mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1 medium head napa cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (OPTIONAL)
Heat grill to high. Mix mustard, agave nectar, 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, and put aside.
Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters, leaving the core intact. Brush cabbage on all sides with 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill cabbage, flat side down, 3 minutes. Flip, and continue to grill until charred. Remove from grill.
Brush cabbage on all sides with mustard glaze. Arrange cabbage on a platter, sprinkle with basil, and serve.
Photo credit Julia A Reed