This healthy winter salad is the perfect way to marry basement butternut squash with these lovely green gems from the market.
Butternut Squash and Smoky Black Bean Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 bag of winter greens
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine squash and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Arrange squash on baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until tender.
3. Arrange walnuts on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon salt over nuts; toss. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring a couple of times. Watch them carefully–toasted becomes burnt rather quickly.
4. Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, paprika and oregano in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
5. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add squash, remaining 3/8 teaspoon salt, pepper, and beans; cook 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in 3 tablespoons dressing; toss to coat.
6. Combine remaining dressing and arugula; toss to coat. Divide arugula mixture evenly among 4 plates; top with bean mixture. Sprinkle evenly with nuts and cheese.