|Important Dates for 2021-22
||Scholarship Awards Announced|
|Sept 8||First Session|
- Review Participant Responsibilities (below)
- Review the current session schedule to get an idea of what to expect. Agendas, locations, and day planners may change, but the general flow of the day will be similar.
- Review your calendar to make sure you are available for the 2021-22 session dates (the 2nd Wednesday of each month, September thru June).
- Complete the online application.
- Ensure 2 reference letters are submitted on your behalf. Please have the letters sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply before May 30. The class is limited to 30.
- 2021-22 tuition is $1,500 per person.
- The tuition covers lectures, site fees, materials, and meals associated with each program day.
- Costs associated with travel to and from the program are the responsibility of the participants (carpooling is encouraged).
To apply for a scholarship, simply check the appropriate box on the application and we will be in touch. Decisions are made in June.
The Leon and Florence Sturman Scholarship Fund was established by longtime Thetford residents Skip and Marilyn Sturman to honor and remember Skip’s parents, who were both dedicated and well-respected community leaders in Rochester, New York. Over more than 40 years, Leon and Florence Sturman assumed leadership roles on a multitude of civic and religious boards and committees. Often acting as President or Vice President, they furthered the work of a wide range of organizations, from the United Way to the Jewish Community Federation, the Baden Street Settlement House to the Women’s Human Relations Council, the P.T.A. to the Center for Governmental Research. Together they co-founded Rochester’s Sister Cities Program and established a youth exchange program with Rehovot, Israel, for which they received a Reader’s Digest Foundation “Outstanding Achievement” award. Upon the occasion of Leon’s death, one of his law partners said, “Leon felt a very high sense of responsibility to make a contribution to society. He always felt that he had an obligation to give something back.” Certainly those words apply equally well to both Florence and Leon Sturman and help explain why this scholarship fund is a fitting tribute to two special individuals who would wholeheartedly support Leadership Upper Valley’s mission “to inspire, educate, and engage leaders to better serve Upper Valley communities.”
Partial scholarships are awarded to those who apply for scholarships that do not receive the full scholarships that are outlined above. Participants who receive partial scholarships may pay the balance themselves, have employers pay the balance, or arrange to share the balance of the tuition with their employers.
What Happens Once I Apply?
- When we receive your complete application (including two letters of recommendation), we will review it and notify you of our decision by June 1.
- If you are applying for a scholarship, you will receive further instructions with your acceptance.
- Full Tuition Payment is due August 1 for all participants.
Responsibilities of Participants
- Attend all of the sessions. Participants are allowed one excused absence.
- Prepare for session days by reviewing homework materials.
- Turn off/put away all communications devices during the sessions in order to create the best learning environment for all participants and presenters.
- Each class is required to organize and complete a service project.