10th Annual Upper Valley Energy Committee Roundtable – May 2017
Our favorite event of the year – a gathering of dozens of local energy volunteers from across the Upper Valley. The event in May 2017 was bustling with 80 attendees from 25 local energy groups, as well as numerous supporting organizations, sponsors, and elected leaders.
Resources Mentioned at the 2017 Roundtable
Vermont Energy and Climate Action Network (VECAN)
Johanna Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org; 802.223.2328 x112)
Ready for 100
Allyson Samuell (email@example.com)
Health and Climate
Alice Ely (Alice.Ely@UVPublicHealth.org)
Vicki Mastroianni (VMastroianni@seniorsolutionsvt.org; 800 642 5119)
- Council on Aging serving Windham and Windsor counties is looking for volunteers to conduct walk through energy efficiency assessments to help seniors save energy and money
- No previous experience necessary. Volunteers required to attend a three-hour training
Bethel University is a unique community pop-up university in Bethel, Vermont. During the month of March each year, anyone can teach courses on any topic under the sun. Take a class – meet new friends, learn new things, and discover all that Bethel has to offer.
Paul Markowitz (firstname.lastname@example.org; 802.540.7608)
- Efficiency Vermont Speakers Bureau
- Municipal Streetlight Program and Guide
- Municipal Guide to Vermont Energy Code
- Above Code programs
- Packet of resources for builders
NH Local Energy Solutions Work Group
Brianna Brand, New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association (email@example.com; 603-226-4732)
- October 28 – Annual Conference in Concord
- Are you signed up for the monthly LES Newsletter?
- Monthly webinar series
- List of members – available for free advice anytime
Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission
Meghan Butts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vermont Walk/Bike Summit 2018
Karl Kemnitzer (email@example.com)
- Vermont Walk/Bike Summit is coming to the Upper Valley in April 2018
- Stay tuned!
Upper Valley Electric Vehicle Expo 2017
Bob Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Seeking volunteers
- Seeking EV owners
- Hosted by Vital Communities, Sierra Club, and a group of local volunteers
- For info on resistance to the proposal for a Lebanon/Hanover fracked gas pipeline: nopipelinehere.org
- Moving forward with a community solar project – sought town support to qualify for “preferred site” net metering arrangement. Letter to Selectboard requesting support.
New England Grassroots Fund
Leigh Cameron (email@example.com; 603.905.9915)
- Seed Grant Program ($1,000): For emerging groups and pilot projects, apply at any time.
- Grow Grant Program ($3,500): For established groups and capacity building efforts, apply by September 15th or March 15th
- Harvest Grant Program ($5,000 – $7,500): For youth-led projects, submit an LOI by May 23rd
- RootSkills Training Series (workshops, webinars, and an annual conference): capacity building trainings for grassroots groups
NH Sustainable Energy Association
Brianna Brand (firstname.lastname@example.org; 603-226-4732)
- Legislative Resources
- Current Legislation
- Legislative Updates Blog
Discussion Group for Energy Issues
Lyn Swett Miller (email@example.com)
- Please join me for a year-long conversation addressing the personal aspects of change and building community resilience. Using writing prompts, photographs and short readings, we will meet once a month at a different person’s house to reflect on specific topics. I have spent three years developing seasonally-based reflections that invite a deeper look at transitioning to a post-carbon world and would like to pilot them with a flexible group of committed activists. If interested, please e-mail me – – we would start in July.
Special thanks to this year’s Roundtable sponsors
New England Grassroots Environmental Funds
Lyme Green Heat, Inc.
Green Lantern Group
Peachtree Builders, Inc.
Vermont Foam Insulation