Just when you’ve forgotten about sweet potatoes . . . National Cook a Sweet Potato Day is a great reminder of these tasty, nutrient-packed tubers!Thanks to Foodimentary.com, Everyday Chef is excited to share some interesting sweet potato stats that you can sprinkle into conversations today to impress your friends. Then, check out one Everday Chef’s recipes, Baked Mac and Sweet Potato or Maple Roasted Sweet Potato , for the perfect celebratory meal!
FIVE FOOD FACTS ABOUT SWEET POTATOES
1. Sweet potatoes are the 6th most important food crop in the world.
2. Asia accounts for 90% of the world consumption of sweet potatoes.
3. George Washington Carver helped to develop the primary adhesive used for postage stamps from the mucilage(sticky film) of sweet potatoes.
4. Sweet potatoes are actually tuberous roots which are considered one of the worlds most nutritious foods in the vegetable kingdom.
5. Despite the physical similarities of yams and sweet potatoes, they actually are not even closely related. Yams are actually closely related to grasses and lilies.
Read more from Foodimentary here.