- Use the sidewalk when possible, or walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
- Drivers may not be able to see you well. Wear bright-colored clothes and if it is dark or hard to see, carry flashlights or wear reflective gear.
- Watch for cars at every driveway and intersection on your walk to school. Look for drivers in parked cars. They may be getting ready to move.
Crossing the Street
1. Stop at the curb or edge of the street.
2. Look left, right, left and behind you and in front of you for traffic.
3. Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
4. Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing.
5. Walk, don’t run across the street.
6. Obey walk signals.
7. Don’t text or talk on the phone while crossing the street!