I don’t know about you, but I’m not quite sure what happened to July, or this week, for that matter. I think I’ve had too much fun eating and cooking all of the great foods from my garden and the market lately that the days slipped by without my noticing. Check out this summer herb salad that I made last Friday.
Summer Herb Salad
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 big handful of lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 big handfuls of green beans, blanched for 20 seconds in boiling salted water, cooled completely under cold water
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, loosely chopped
- 1 small handful of small/medium basil leaves
- 1 handful of pepitas, toasted
- fine-grain sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado
Cut each ear of corn in half and carefully cut kernels from cobs. Combine the corn, lettuce, green beans, red onion, herbs, and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
Make the avocado dressing by sprinkling a big pinch of salt on the garlic clove. Chop and crush it into a paste with the back of a knife. Place the garlic in a medium bowl along with the yogurt, lemon juice, and avocado. Puree with a hand blender or put everything into a traditional blender. Taste, add salt one pinch at a time until properly seasoned. If you aren’t dressing the salad immediately, cover with plastic, pressing into the top of the dressing to prevent browning.
Gently toss the ingredients with a couple of big dollops of the avocado dressing. Taste, add a bit of salt and/or more dressing if needed.
Recipe from: 101cookbooks.com.