The Ultimate Onion Tart
By Laila Gohar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 pounds yellow onions, sliced into rings
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 5 strips bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375F. Melt the butter and oil together in a large skillet and add the diced bacon. Cook until the bacon is halfway cooked.
- Add the thyme, onion and salt to the skillet. Cook on medium-low heat until the onions are completely translucent and caramelized. This will take around 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine 2 eggs and the half and half in a bowl. Add the caramelized onion mixture and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry in a buttered pie or glass dish. (Make sure the pastry has four edges in order to hold the onion mixture.)
- Add the mixture to the pastry and bake for 35 minutes or until the crust and top are slightly browned.
- Allow to cool, then slice and serve.